Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Taking a breather


I have been packing a little over a month now. I'd pack a couple boxes a day and then take it easy. The number of boxes I pack each day has risen, and so has the idea that I never want to pack this many boxes again. I have a sense that my life will be a nomadic one and I need to become a minimalist ( I have moved every year for the past 8 years). And, I think I'm okay with the idea. I only wear about three shirts, one long pair of pants, and a couple pair of shorts all the time...I have tons of other clothes, but I just don't wear them enough to count.
I love travelling and Lyndon wants to move to Australia after med-school, so that is reason enough to get rid of most of our possessions-no? Of course this minimalisting will get tougher as Claire and possibly other kids to come decide that they can't part with their possessions, but I'm willing to negotiate with them- "Claire you can keep that barbie or go explore the jungles of Thailand to discover medicinal properties in tree bark, it's up to you.." She'd go for it, I'm sure...

14 comments:

Brandi said...

You crack me up Missy. You are so adventurous...I love it! And I'm with you, I hate packing. I don't care if you are moving to a brand new, amazing house...it still stinks. Good luck with the move though. And Austrailia :) Is that really a possibility?

Lindsey said...

When is the big move date? We need to have one last hoorah before you head out!

SP said...

we leave this Friday....

and yes, Australia is really a for real option here.

Nelly said...

So, I believe I see an icecream makker on the top of the pile of boxes. If you're thinking of ditching something you can't part with that one! We love ours- we just made some icecream the other day and I'm wishing we had some now! ;)
I'm so excited for your med school adventure. It really is sucha good experience. 4 years goes fast!
Good luck on the move!

Nancy said...

Let me know if you need a play date before you go! Rachel would love to take Claire out of your hair so you can get some work done!

And, boy, do I feel your pain. We are moving halfway around the world and are just putting our stuff in storage. Why, why, why? Obviously we don't need it all since we aren't taking it with us!

Unknown said...

You do have a great sense of negociating!!!!
Good luck with the move!!!
Love you all!

Jessica said...

You sure are taking a lot of banannas...Or is that just a little way of saying you are going banannas?

Williams Tale Overture said...

Wow I can't believe you are leaving next Friday.I am going to miss you! I agree with minimizing everything I have been trying to move my office downstairs and it is a nightmare.

Amy Lynn said...

I so agree! Everyday I get up and just want to throw everything out. My ideal world would be 2 sets of play clothes, 1 set of sunday clothes, and MAYBE 2 toys each. I say that and then I get the call where someone says "Hey, I've got to run to Target..." and I always have something I need at Target. Sigh.

Brad said...

LBJ is headed to Dartmouth! Congrats buddy. Hope all is well and hope you're getting excited for the fun of medical school and New England with it's infamous winters!

Brad Reid

Jared Stubbs said...

Isn't it uncomfortable to wear all of those clothes at the same time? How do you move around? Is it hot? See you soon.

Aubrey said...

Celeste would ditch the barbie for the chance to eat any kind of tree bark possible. ;-)

Abby said...

I hear you! Get rid of it all (keep the baby and hubby). However, I must say, asfter so much moving I did get to the point that even if it was just for a year, I still had to hang pictures and cutains and make it my home...ugh, I hate packing though. I look around my house, which isn't even terribly cluttered, and wonder how it is that two adults can have so much STUFF? What is all this stuff, anyway, and why do we need so much?

collinanddani said...

Hey cousins! I asked my mom to get your blog link but she forgot! now we can keep in touch! This is dani and collin by the way