Monday, August 18, 2008

pickin blueberries!

We had a grad ol' time picking blueberries on this quaint property next to the Connecticut river. There were tons of varieties as well as mosquitoes, but I am enjoying eating my blueberry shakes and muffins as I scratch myself to death. Only $2/ lb and we pick 5 lbs and Claire ate another pound on her own as we picked.



Resting and enjoying the view after picking.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahh, so fun! Can we pick blueberries when we come visit you someday??

PS - Have you read that book, Blueberries for Sal? That's what your post reminded me of, only Blueberries for Claire! :)

Julie said...

I was going to ask if you found any blueberry patches anywhere-- that is one berry I wish we could grow. That is awesome they were $2 lb!! Wow! Make a yummy blueberry pie for me;)

Czirr Family said...

BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUAAAAAAAAAA!!!...I will keep writing in spanish on our blog just because i'm so jelous of you guys! (hahaha). There's so much to do down there! wait until fall ..its gorgeous! ( i don't know how to write it haha) love , and tons of kisses from your favorite chilean ant!

Angela D said...

Those made my mouth water. I didn't see a tell tale blueberry beard on claire so Missy must have been packing wipes. :) You really are in a beautiful area.

Oscarson Photography said...

I want lots and lots of cheap big juicy tasty blueberries!! My favorite blueberry treat is called the Nolan Taste Treat Sensation.

Freeze a bag of berries. Let them really freeze through and through. Then half-fill a cup with the rock hard berries and cover the berries is milk. Add a little sugar or honey and mix. All the milk will freeze and turn to icy tastiness and the berries will thaw. Aw~ so tasty!

Jangs said...

OK I am officially homesick for you all. And the berries look good too. It all looks so wonderful. You are on a great adventure.

michaelstubbs said...

I am jealous. I ate some wild choke cherries yesterday, and the reason they call them choke cherries is because they are basically inedible. I also ate service berries which look like blue berries and taste like sweet-mealy-mush. I miss Alaska's wild blue berries. They were tiny and tart. Very nice.

Jared Stubbs said...

So...did Claire have quite the diaper afterward? "Blue Strawberries" tend to affect Afton if you no what I mean.

Unknown said...

Wow! Amazing!! It's sooo hard to find blueberries here in Brazil!! I wish it could be that easy!!!!

Curt and Amy said...

Wow! The berries do look delicious! Like your friend says, there aren't blue berries here! I haven't seen them here in Brazil yet. Claire looks so cute in her chair! I'm so jealous, it looks beautiful there!

Happy Harrison said...

I'm jealous. My favorite thing in the whole world is waffles with blueberries, real maple syrup and whipping cream. I eat 2-5 everyday (depending on how hungry I am, of course). My blueberries don't look nearly as good as your though. I pick mine at Costco, out of the freezer section, in a big plstic bag. Not nearly so fun, or tasty.

Emily said...

Yum!

P.S. Are you ever going to look old? You are 10 days older than me, but you are aging much more gracefully, my dear. Still as beautiful as your teenage self.

Czirr Family said...

Where are you!?

Lyndon said...

We are north of our house about twenty minutes in a place called Lyme (ever heard of Lyme's disease?) :)

Lyndon said...

Actually, I think Lyme Disease was from a different Lyme in nearby Connecticut - store that one away for Jeopardy

Williams Tale Overture said...

Your backyard is beautiful! It looks like you live in a fun area! Those blueberries look very yummy. Claire is so adorable