Friday, April 1, 2011
Charter schools vs. Public
Check this out. It is so very interesting. And then if you can, watch the documenary on Netflix.
p.s. can you tell what is consuming me right now? (see previous post). I also just bought Saxon math home school materials for Claire for this next school year. No, I do not plan to home school my children kindergarten on up, but yes I do plan to help them be very on top of the game before and during their whole education. I am nervous what our next move will bring school wise- being that Claire will be 5 years and ready for Kindergarten.
p.p.s. I wasn't always top in my math skills either. My poor children. It's like that sporty parent complex. You know, where the parent didn't make it into the NFL, so his son gosh dangit will.....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

9 comments:
You go girl. Just don't turn into one of those Tiger Moms from Asia.
I just realized that we missed the lottery for the charter schools here, they hold it in March of every year. But we are thinking about getting our kids on the waiting list.
I was going to try and start one here, but got shot down by loads of people even in the idea stage-- "change" and a small town seldom work together. I will have to watch the documentary.
I love our school, however, but my next goal is to help my friend get us a NEW school building. I think it would fall over in an earthquake-- it is old.
Whatever you do with your girls, I am sure they will be on top of things. They are intrinsically smart!!
Actually the emphasis of my dissertation research is on the economics of education. It is a hugely important area with lots of anecdotal stories, but not many good empirical answers. What we do know (obviously) is that there is no substitute for active parental involvement. Too many parents view public schools as subsidized daycare. They fail to realize that learning starts at home and the schools are just support mechanisms, not the other way around. Lillian’s teachers are going to hate me one day because I will definitely hold their feet to the fire.
By the way, the previous reading video is amazing!
(This goes more with the previous post. ) You are so on the ball. The only worry is that she is going to be so far ahead, she'll be bored no matter what school you put her in! What an incredible mother.
Cash got into a charter school here which I am really excited about. My biggest reasons for wanting him to get in is because they teach phonic based reading and saxon math and they wear uniforms. I was shocked that public schools do not teach phonics based reading.
My children attend a charter school...and I HATED charter schools when I was working as a teacher. Best thing to hit American education but people have some really looney ideas about what charter school are, why they exist, and what they do. Have you watched the documentary "Waiting for Superman"? Fabulous movie about charter schools...
After years in school, I am going to have to say, no school at all. What is New Hampshire's motto? Live Free or Die.
The education thing seems like quite the plight when you consider all things. But I think you are wise-the best any of us can do is know what is out there, know the details, be involved in as little or as much is needed for each and every one of our little people. There is no wrong answer to education when the parent is involved.
Post a Comment