Do any of you remember The Safety Kids? Last year I bought the booklet and CD for Claire because I remembered doing it as a kid. It's great and teaches your child personal safety in a fun way.
At the same time last year I enrolled Claire in a local Baptist Church's summer Bible camp. It was a good experience and I liked the feeling of community between other Moms of different religions.I then wondered why we didn't as a church take advantage of inviting the community in a bigger way than simply inviting a friend to come to some activities.
So I spent the next year working on how to bring Safety Kids to our community. I wanted to do something that was non-denominational-something that any person with or without faith would appreciate.
I advertised through all the local city halls and they sent mailers out and posted on their websites. I also posted on several local and popular sites for the community and went to a variety of churches and asked if they could post our community event.
I asked my friends who were not affiliated with the Mormon Church to teach classes.
I gave the teachers two months to prepare their own lessons based on the materials I gave them (Brite music gave me copyright permission).
I had two different outdoor safety classes that the kids also rotated through. They learned "street smarts" in regards to playing outside and being in the woods and a bit of wilderness survival...you know fires and shelters and such.
The turnout was not what I dreamed, but it was a great start. We did have people from around the community join (just not as many as I hoped, but non the less a good start- 10 out of 43 "member"kids).
It ran smoothly, I had tons of help and people all seemed to comment in the positive.-Whew!
14 comments:
That is so great, Missy! I think that is a fantastic way to create community unity. It looks like you really had a good turn out!
Wow! I am super impressed with you and your idea! Wish I lived closer, so I could have brought my kids!
Wow. Nice work. You got more people than we get to attend church each week.
I can't believe you are that motivated! amazing.
what I great idea. That's a lot of work, but such a great way to get people thinking positively about the church. You're awesome!
Wow! That's wonderful, and it takes some serious determination! I want to be more like you. In fact, when Rich and I go to grad school, can I copy your idea? What a wonderful way to teach kids and get them (and adults) together!
you are awesome!!!
Amazing! You are such a go-getter, and cute too! And now, I have safety kids stuck in my head...we're glad to be one, smile when you see one, we're everywhere!...
That is awesome Missy!
I forgot to ask how it went! It looks fantastic. And I think that is a good start! What a great thing you did. I am so proud of you
Check you out! I'm impressed at your motivation. (Was this sparked by Sydney's flirtations with death on the mountain? :) (Elaine)
You are so amazing. Your family is so cute. I am glad I am not the only one who has a daughter that is fearless. We need to get them together, or not.
My mother in law sold Brite! We got some hand me down books.
You are so rad, for reals!
That's cool. Quite the undertaking!
Post a Comment