Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Playing Doctor

I had a church meeting this morning and we thought it would be a good idea to do it outside whilst the kids played on the playground. The kids had a great time and seemed to really be enjoying the little playhouse, they seemed to be playing inside for ever (which was probably only 15 minutes max). Claire sauntered out after a bit and looked oddly wet to me. I wondered how they got water into the playhouse as I headed over to her and realized that she had petroleum jelly smeared all over over hands, face, and oh yes-hair. How did she get this Vaseline substance you ask? Well, I was the idiot that let Claire play with this chap stick-like breast balm that I've kept in my bag and used as chap stick (okay, sounds gross, but I never did use it when I nursed Claire and it really was great for my lips). I thought it was harmless to let Claire carry it around because she couldn't open it anyway. Alas, her friends could and promptly told us as they ran out after Claire, that they were playing doctor.....no surprise as all their dads are in Med school. It wouldn't have been half so bad if the girls hadn't dumped sand and bark on her head as well. Or maybe Claire did that to herself, which is very likely.
The sand is mostly gone from her scalp, but she has the most moisturized hair ever. i tried dish soap, but I think we'll have to keep keep that up for a few more days until this greasy hair kid comes clean.
She also put yogurt all over her arms and face today like lotion after she was clean and had a nap. Not sure what possesed her to do that, but I didn't think it was funny enough to take a picture by then.


10 comments:

Amy Lynn said...

What a fabulous substance to smear all over yourself! Mosturizes, feels great, and makes things magically stick. Aren't kids absolutely amazing? I promise it will be funny one day. Just not today! Courage take!

Jared Stubbs said...

Claire is a crackup. That was a funny post.

Jangs said...

And you wonder why you can't get anything done some days. Boy oh boy do I remember days like that

Julie said...

What kind of medicinal practices do they teach at that school?? Lanolin is good for your scalp-- right? She'll have nice and shiny, smooth hair and the sand will be a great exfoliater. How fun!

Unknown said...

I cant wait to meet your kids...
By the way...my mom has bought your baby a white dress...I dont know what you're going to dress your baby for the blessing, but...if you like it, maybe you can use that dress...it's up to you...but liked the dress and decided to buy without asking me anything...As soon as she arrives from her trip, I'll take a picture of the dress and I'll send you!! :o)
What time is the blessing? I'll arrive in SLC on the 16th, at 8pm....

wendys said...

Oh Claire. On Wednesday we bathed our dirt streaked children and got them ready for bed. 10 minutes later I went into Ian's room and Eliza had found markers and drawn all over herself. I'm not sure why we even try to keep kids clean!

Angela D said...

my sympathies missy. we had a yogurt and poo war at our house this week. I did the vaseline as shampoo thing when I was claire's age. I loved smearing it all over. my mom didn't so much.

Czirr Family said...

oh my goodness!!!...she is a pretty creative girl!..I would never though about playing doctors just because I have Vaseline...she has a good imagination!...My girls did that ones with lotion and it took me forever to take it off of their hair!...and it was just lotion...good luck Missy!

Cassie said...

Oh you made me laugh!!! How can one sweet little girl get so dirty...oh yeah...she had friends. What a hoot!

Abby said...

I'm sure her skin thanks her...er something. That is one for the great book of "Do you know what you did when you were little?" So glad you got pictures. Just the thought of that sand on top of it makes me feel crazy! And speaking of crazy, you're not--I use Lansinoh on my lips all the time!