Saturday, February 19, 2011

Boasting (2nd try)

I have been teaching Claire to read using Teach your child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons and am so excited about how well it has been working. I do bribe her. No Diego unless we practice. Call me crazy, making my 3 1/2 year read, but it's my inner childhood anxieties coming out I think- being that I was held back in the 1st grade for not reading well enough or at all (not sure).....or perhaps not caring/paying attention.....I myself do not remember. ;)



The letters lose their symbols and they all become the same size lettering as the lessons progress.

15 comments:

Britt-Marie said...

That's awesome! I am so jealous! I bought that book and tired doing it with my daughter but she thought they were boring and kept complaining that "we've already done this sound/exercise." They had already started learning the sounds at 'preschool' so I think the first lessons were too easy for her, but friends who did it said not to skip them so I didn't. I also didn't push it cause I didn't want her to hate it, but even bribing with candy/ice cream didn't work. :P So a year later we are on lesson 9- every once in a while she will want to do a lesson. Yet now, she tries to write words on her own and is usually way off like ilavwo= I love you. If only we'd kept at it past the slow going stuff. I'm totally going to start earlier with my next. You're in inspiration! Great job!

michaelstubbs said...

That's fantastic. I am very impressed with both of you. That's a lot of work.

Julie said...

That is so great!! That is the exact book LL and SO used, I liked it a lot. I can't get LO to even identify a letter right now, so I need a different angle with him!

Julie said...

Just realize you may be creating a monster-- I now ask LL to watch her siblings, and she is so distracted by a book that the children are in danger!!! I am kidding of course. That is so exciting to see her reading, it is always fun to see that "click" with them-- it opens up a whole new world.

Amy Lynn said...

We also used the same book! It is a great system and really does an amazing job helping kids to understand the process of reading. Your daughter is amazing though!!! That was some serious reading for a 3 year old! Well done mom...and daughter!

Ward-a-Loo's said...

Great Job Claire! We also taught Hadlie and Isaac how to read with that book! It is awesome. Hadlie liked it a lot, but Isaac got really bored with it and just wanted to skip ahead read without sounding it out. It is a great introduction. Miss you guys!

mo said...

I just love the little chubby finger following those words--so cute!

Jangs said...

Brilliant. Simply Brilliant. Very impressive

wendys said...

Thanks for re-posting it! She is doing great! Way to Go! I just used Dick & Jane for Ian because that's how my mom taught me. I will look into this though.

Emma Jo said...

I am super impressed. My sister in law used those lessons and her kids were amazing by the time they started school. I should get the program because my kindergartner is struggling with the reading thing. I take for granted that my first two picked up on it so quickly. What is the name of the program?

amber-girl said...

Totally inspired that I am so buying the book...very soon! :) Claire reads as well as Anna does, and Anna is almost 6!!!!

I am flabbergasted!

PS-Claire has SUCH a cute little voice....so cute!

Mary Ann (Crockett) Ahlstrom said...

Um...........amazing! What program is it? Bribing Dayton with Dora or Blues Clues works with just about anything for us too. Amazing.

mo said...

I also love the way she pronounces those "t's" so clearly! Smart, darling, and amazing! Good going mom!

Megan said...

Wow, I'm so way impressed!

Sarah Evans said...

That is amazing!!!! Way to go. I'm so impressed.