Saturday, September 17, 2011

Dumpster treasures

Did you know Pier One throws away stuff that doesn't sell or breaks (but is fixable) ?  I know because I used to dive their dumpster in High school with my gal pals.
 I still dream of doing it now, but have moved onto bigger dumpster...like the city dump...yes, the city dump. Now, now, I am not as sick as you think. The dump seperates their wood pile, furniture pile, appliances pile, and refuse pile (the really gross stuff) and I happen to like the furniture and wood piles. Here is one of my finds (I grabbed six wooden chairs right before the huricane hit).
I have only re finished one so far. I rewove the bottom after I wittled a dowel to fit the space where one was missing. I have yet to add a little more yellow to the weave, but took a picture anyway...I am too tired to finish it just yet. It is now functional regardless and was super fun to fix.  The whole thing cost me nothing (well, I am lieing. I did buy 250 yards of yellow bakers twine to accent the real rope I wove with, it was $14-oh and the wooden dowel cost $2, so really it cost me $16), but I got the paint off of freecycle and we had the rope around the house.

Now don't you want to dumpster dive? ;)

12 comments:

Britt-Marie said...

That's pretty awesome. I can't believe the transformation. I liked the visual of you diving into the Peir 1 dumpster. haha

amber-girl said...

Umm, yeah!!!! Do you have to be sneaky about it? Obviously not at the city dump, but Pier 1? I need some training for this type of stuff!!! Lol!!! You make me laugh!

Seriously, where do all of your skills come from?? Is there anything you can't do???

Jangs said...

Holy cow! Where did you learn to weave chair seats? You are incredible. You out do Shabby Chic. You need your own show on DIY

Julie said...

Wow! That is so cool! I am laughing at you though-- whittling your own dowel! Weaving your own seat!! I think next you need to carve Michaelangelo's David out of Ivory soap for a mantlepiece!!
Way to go!!!

Elyse said...

I love it! I'm constantly on freecycle on craigslist to see if people are throwing away things I can transform. It's a legit obsession. I have to stop myself otherwise I'll become a hoarder haha.

I had no idea about Pier 1 though--do you have to be secretive about it or do they not care at all?

Abby said...

Very cute! You are inspiring me to do a little painting project too. I wish you could do it for me though cuz I am not very good at this stuff.

wendys said...

You are so crazy! I would never be able to look at that chair and see the potential you can see! We need your help. Send us for matching black chairs please.

michaelstubbs said...

Wow. I wouldn't have seen that chair's potential. Hey, read this essay on dumpster diving http://producer.csi.edu/cdraney/archive-courses/fall07/engl102/e-texts/eighner-dumpster.htm

Beka said...

wow you are awesome!!!

Emma Jo said...

I love it!! Dumpster diving is the best! (Well, the finished products are really the best.)

Elaine said...

Yes! Yes, I do want to dumpster dive! Not sure how policed the dumps are in these parts. (There are Pier 1s which might not be so policed.) And as others have commented - is there anything you can't do?

Meredith said...

I will not dumpster dive in China. If my body ever goes in the dumpster here DO NOT retrive it. Missy your blog is so cute and I enjoy reading it. You inspire the uninspirable (me).