We took a day during our "spring" break to head up to Montreal Canada. It was a three hour trek there and another three back, but we survived and only argued a handful of times trying to figure out how to get to places. I must say that I did have a bit of culture shock. I really didn't expect everything to be so French and especially didn't expect people to give me blank stares when I asked where the bathroom was- come on it's CANADA! Granted we were in the proud province of Quebec. We only hung out in the old part of town and managed to run into China town too (Ah, I just love the Chinese).I actually felt much happier in China town, due to the fact that I could speak the language and we found my favorite fruit, dragon heart with a side of dragon eyes, which is also a yummy fruit (see picts) that Claire slurped down (the Dragon eye fruit resemble eye balls when peeled, but once you get passed the look, you fall in love with the taste). We also went into Canada's version of Notre Dame, which is in fact really called Notre Dame. I had never been in such an ornate cathedral. it was beautiful and gothic and I really enjoyed it.
On our way home we passed through some great farming towns that was a lot like driving though Idaho. We stopped in at "Le Normand's" (translation- Norm's dinner) and had a country farm French version of Italian. Interesting,but filling.
I also discovered where "little girls room" must have originated from....I did end up finding the bathroom.


15 comments:
So jealous! I want to go to Canada....
Oh...how fabulous! We are having the hardest time figuring out what to do for spring break...would be LOTS more fun if we had French Canada 3 hours away! I love your adventures!
Spring Break? What do you call it when you are already home all the time? That's great that you got to visit Canada. We have seen much of the western half, and it is beautiful. No French speakers, but Wendy's father had a hard enough time understanding.
That looks like so much fun! I love the pictures of the Cathedral. I love old churchs and old buildings. Glad you got out!
I am amazed at all the places you have been so far in your life! How fun! Thank you for your comment on my blog, what a strength your family is to me still! Your mother is such a neat woman, I just have no words good enough to describe her! Our attorney is actually Brent Nielsen, Jr. he graduated with Mike. We are glad to be represented by such a good man from a great family.
Claire is adorable and seems to have a lot of spunk in her....must take after you! :) It is so fun to keep up with your little family.
Bruno is still living in Montreal...if only you had got in touch with me/him.... :o)
That "Little Girls" bathroom sign looks like it really is the backsides of a pig playing leapfrog with a little girl.
Did you get any chocolate? That is what I would buy;) Sounds like a good time.
hello all.
my name is philippe and i'm french.
i do like your blog.
If you need help for your french,i'm here if you want.
You are a pretty familly.
By.
hello all.
I'm french.I often look your familly blog.
And i like it.
If you need help for your french language. ican help you if you want.
BYE
Hey did you know that Celine Dion was married in that Cathedral? yep Its true. Glad you had fun. Don't you love road signs and other signs in other countries. I think pictures of them would make a great book. It is truly funny
When I first saw the pictures I was wondering why no one told me you three went to France. When Abby and I drove to Canada from Spokane we saw cows and ate in a tiny diner where people said "eh." Not quite as cool as your part of Canada
How fun to have a foreign country so close! I guess I could go from Egyptian pyramids to New York City to Paris on the strip, but it's just not the same--wonder if we'll ever get a Notre Dame Casino? (Nothing would surprise me here, I suppose.)
What a fun trip! I'm glad someone else takes pictures of street signs in foreign countries. That's what I did in England and Sweden last summer--I find it so interesting. Just wait until I get to Hong Kong!
that looks like soooo much fun! Much more exciting than remodeling. Now claire can say she went to a "Foreign" country! haha
Miss Missy! We loved Montreal and I'm so glad you got to go there. Such a cool old city. We should try and catch up some time since we don't live that far from each other ... relatively speaking. Your blog and your family are gorgeous.
Post a Comment